Friday, September 15, 2006

The Writer Types My Life Right

I remember a few years back when...

...during one of my return trips from LA to Rochester...I was packing stuff for the moving truck...and I thought I had everything...

...that is...

...until I realized that I forgot to pack my typewriter...an old IBM Selectric upon which I had written my first Bewitched book...

...but the truck had already left...when I had returned down the stairs (from my Aunt Elva's apartment on 6th street)...

So, there I am standing at the corner of 6th and Montana in Santa Monica (a very exclusive part of Santa Monica, I might add)...with this typewriter in my arms...

And I'm looking up and down the street for the truck...

And to my amazement...I spot it...PARKED...a few blocks away - in front of some other apartment building..

So I run up the street - with my this typewriter in my arms...screaming, "Hey...wait a minute...Mr. Moving Person...Hey...!"

The head-mover notices me, as he's helping someone else move from another building. And he kind of just looks at me with this incredulous expression on his face, and says...

"Man - you must be living right?"

"Uh," I start to say, somewhat out of breath due to running up the street, "..what do you mean?"

"This never happens," he goes on to explain. "First of all, I never have two clients within the same block. And second of all, I can't believe you caught me in time."

And once more, he repeated, "You must be living right," as I handed him my typewriter, smiled...and walked away.

No comments: