Saturday, May 19, 2007

Some Things Just Don't Fit

Back in the late '80s, when I lived in Santa Monica, I was working as a front desk clerk/waiter at the Bel Air Bay Club in Pacific Palisades. It was a beautiful job. It was a cushy job. And it was an awesome thing to see TV and movie stars visit the club for one reason or another. One day, in fact, Barry Greg Brady Williams held his wedding there - and the entire Brady Bunch came to celebrate. Another time, I got all dressed up in a black tux and with a hot date, and crashed the annual Spring party for the folks of NBC's Days Of Our Lives, fooling everyone, at least for a few hours, into thinking that I had just been hired as semi-regular on the famous soap.

But there were other benefits, too, of working at the Club. One morning the General Manager asked me if I would be interested in having the big 52" inch screen TV that was plopped down in the lobby for the members and their guests. Now, remember - this was the '80s - before HD and plasma - and having a big-screen TV, projection or no projection, was a huge deal.

Needless to say, I jumped at the chance - and said "Yes - of course - I'd LOVE to have it. Thank you!"

So, that night, I rushed home to my apartment and started to visualize where I would place the massive TV, not even thinking about how I would get it there from the Club. I started moving furniture around, lifting lamps, moving bookcases, switching tables; I was doing all of that for about an hour and a half. And then I stopped. Abruptly.

There was just no way that 52" inch TV was gonna' fit into my apartment - and did I mention that it was a studio apartment, to top it all off?

No matter how bad I wanted that TV in there; no matter how beautiful it was; no matter how excited and honored I was that the Club's manager picked me to give it to - it just wasn't going to happen. It just wasn't going to fit.

Just like today - for any one of us who may desire a certain goal or objective, and no matter how strong the desire - it just doesn't fit into our lives. And no matter how hard we try to make it fit - it's just not gonna' happen.

Not unless we move.

No comments: