Sunday, June 21, 2009

Be A Good Father To YOURSELF

If you are fortunate enough to have a wonderful father, as I was, Happy Father's Day. If you are fortunate enough to BE a wonderful father, Happy Father's Day. If you are fortunate enough to KNOW a wonderful father, Happy Father's Day. And if you are fortunate enough to realize that you are ultimately a wonderful father to YOURSELF, Happy Father's Day.

Indeed, my Dad, Herbie "Pompeii" Pilato (who passed into spirit on April 7th, 1995), was a great man. And he remains a great soul, who today is guiding me and helping me in ways that he was unable to do so when he was on Earth.

And if anyone could have been a movie star, it could have been my Dad. He had blonde hair, blue eyes, and he was beautiful and fit. A lifeguard in his early days, and athletic throughout his 83 years, he looked like a cross between Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Jimmy Cagney, and Frank Sinatra - all to whom his friends comparied him at variant times in his life.

My Dad was uneducated, but wise. He was uneducated because he lost his mother at an early age and, as the oldest out of three boys, and with having three sisters, he was forced to quit school at an early age, and became the "father figure" for each of his siblings.

Indeed, my Dad did everything he could for his brothers and sisters. And later in life, he did everything he could for me, my sister Pamela Rose (whose middle name belonged to my Dad's Mom), and my beautiful mother, Frances Turri Pilato (who passed away on May 5th, 2008).

Both my Mom and Dad raised me to make certain I had a good heart. And they both encouraged my particular theatrical abilities. I recall my Dad, in particular, saying, time and again, "This kid's got talent. TALENT!"

And yes, I, like the rest of us, have talent. And my particular talents happen to be of the theatrical nature...singing, dancing, acting and writing, and so forth.

But what do I consider my strongest talents?

My compassion. My child's heart. My humanity. My ability to not only care for 0thers, but for myself; to in effect, be a "father" to myself. Those such talents, along with my theatrical abilities, came to me from the the Father/Mother of us all, the God of Love, by way of my beautiful Earthly Father and Mother.

And the phrase, "eternally grateful," has never been so appropriated employed as I am about to employ it now.

For I am eternally grateful for the love I receive from the God of Love, the Love I receive from my Mother and Father and the true unselfish self-Love and self-respect I retain.

The Commandment, "Honor Thy Father and Mother," does not just mean to respect our parents while they are with you are Earth. "Honor Thy Father and Mother" also means to honor the LIFE God gave us through our mortal parents...to live our lives as fully and as kindly as possible....to be everything we were born to be in this world...and to share and encourage others to live as fully as well.

Should you not have had such a positive experience with your Earthly parents as I have, then you still have the opportunity to parent YOURSELF...to forgive them as any true loving-kind parent would...as the God of Love has ALREADY forgiven you, time and time again.

In fact, with true forgiveness there is no need to forgive. Because to forgive implies that there is condemnation. And with the true God of Love there is no condemnation. So, it's better to say to know that you are simply and truly and UNCONDITIONALLY loved by the God of Love...and now you can do the same for YOURSELF. Be a true Mother/Father to YOURSELF...and love yourself UNCONDITIONALLY

So again, if you are fortunate enough to have a wonderful father, as I was, Happy Father's Day. If you are fortunate enough to BE a wonderful father, Happy Father's Day. If you are fortunate enough to KNOW a wonderful father, Happy Father's Day. And if you are fortunate enough to know and realize that you are ultimately a wonderful father...mother...parent...to YOURSELF, Happy Father's Day.

No comments: