Thursday, June 04, 2009

The passing of David Carradine

As the author of The Kung Fu Book of Caine and The Kung Fu Book of Wisdom, I came to know David Carradine quite well. My fondest memory of him is when I served as producer of Bravo's five-part series, "The 100 Greatest TV Characters." Certainly, I insisted that David's iconic portrayal of "Kwai Chang Caine" on "Kung Fu" be included on this list. I also requested that I personally pick David up at this home, and drive him to the interview, which I conducted. Long story, short. David got in my car, and within seconds, he was playing the famous "flute" he had used on the show as Caine - and which he was bringing to the interview for an on-camera effect. But before we got to the studio to tape his segment on Caine, there we were, driving down Ventura Blvd. in Studio City. With me in the driver seat, and David up in the front passenger seat - playing his flute.

Bless you, David - and your unique and substantial contribution to entertainment industry - and the world.

No comments: