Friday, September 11, 2009

"Hair Follies"

A few months ago, I decided to dye my hair back to black.

The salt-and-pepper look had transformed into silver gray, and it was bothering me - especially because I had now temporarily relocated to Florida...where everybody is "young."

At any rate, as I'm now wondering if I should return it to gray.

Not just because I'm thinking if all those chemicals are doing any damage to my scalp...but maybe because the "natural look" (a big phrase in the early '70s) is best for me. IN many ways.

Meanwhile, too, I would by lying if I said it doesn't bother me that my hair has thinned-out a great deal over the last few years. It used to grow "tall" (like Prince's hair in "Purple Rain"). And then it started just to grow "long," because it wasn't as thick as it used to be - where as the multitude of hair shafts weren't there any more to hold each other up.

That said, I've enjoyed the "new" darker hair...not to mention the pedicure. manicure and massages I've been receiving at the same salon.

But should this all matter? Especially about the hair?

I'm reminded of a visit to a hair stylist I made some fifteen years ago in Rochester. My hair was naturally black back then, but it was just starting to thin. And it became an issue for me.

I relayed my concern to this particular hair stylist, and he went on to tell me this story:

"I had a little boy come into my shop one day. He was a charming little boy, with beautiful thick red hair. But he was also a very sick little boy...with leukemia. And I remember complimenting him on his hair, and him thinking a minute, then turning to me and saying, "I would give up my healthy hair for a healthy body, any day!"

I forgot about that story until today, when I asked my friends on Facebook to vote for either my natural look or treated look. Everyone has been so kind, with the votes split down the middle - as to who preferred which "look."

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. But whatever I decide, it's going to be a happy choice - with a new perspective gained by the memory of one special little boy.

No comments: