Friday, September 25, 2009

The Last Coupla' Days: From Henry Kissinger to Tom Brokaw to Mom & Dad

I flew into NYC on Tuesday with my associates for various business meetings and stayed until Wednesday night. Arrived at the Waldorf Astoria for one of the meetings - and all of this just happened to transpire on what turned out to be one of the busiest days of the year for "The City."

President Obama was in town - with other dignataries connected the UN - as well as with President Clinton including noneother than Henry Kissinger. And the City was out-of-control busy, with the streets bustling more than ever...with police blockades at every turn.

Henry Kissinger, meanwhile, walked right in front of us - and out into the street. We were just about to ask for his photo - when as he crossed the street, he ran into the former NBC News king Tom Brokaw. And Brokaw was near unrecognizable with a flappy hat - and shopping bag. That is correct. A flappy hat and shopping bag.

So, Tom stops Henry in his tracks - and the two go on to have a brief conversation and it was clear that they had not seen each other in years.

And my associates and I saw it all happen - while the rest of NYC (and the world?)was oblvious to it all.

Just astounding.

Now, juxtapose that experience to my journey to Wegmans Supermarket - on Britton Road - last night in Rochester (where I'll be for the next week or so - before returning to Florida).

My Mom and Dad would stop at Wegman's every day right after having lunch at McDonald's, after Dad picked up Mom from Number 7 School in the city, where she worked part-time as a "lunch lady." My parents lived a charmed, simple and happy life - and I'll never forget them or the sweet true lessons of love that I learned from them.

They had it all together - and I am proud of them - and will remain so forever. More than I ever could be proud of Henry Kissinger or even the kind and down-to-earth Tom Brokaw.

No comments: