Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Be Mindful Of Your Words

Words and thoughts are things. And we should use them wisely. We should speak only kind words...think only kind thoughts...and act in only kind ways. If anything, we can at the very least, try to be nice...or to say nice words and think kind thoughts.

There are many people to whom I would like to say unkind things. But I hold my tongue for many reasons - mainly because it's just not nice...and also because it just ain't worth it.

When I was a kid, and whenever there was a possiblity of a fight with a neighborhood bully, my beautiful Mom, "St. Frances of Turri," would always advise me by saying, "Don't dirty your hands." In other words, don't dirty your soul...soiling your hands by even touching anyone who wants to fight.

And the same goes for verbal disagreements or arguements. "Don't dirty your mouth in retaliation to someone else's hurtful, mean-spirited words."

I have found that some people like to fight, verbal or otherwise. They enjoy conflict and confrontation.

I, however, do not.

Ultimately, I am mindful of my words - and how important they are in relationship to others in my life - and my life, in general.

For as Emerson wrote, "No man is an island. No man goes his way alone. Whatever we send into the lives of others, comes right back into our own."

As such, my recommendation is that we send out only good words...good thoughts...and kind acts...for the development of our souls - and for the highest good of all those concerned.

No comments: