Sunday, June 06, 2010

"I Love Lucy - and My Mom"

For one reason or another I've been watching alot of Lucille Ball's old shows lately, with everyday screenings of everything from I Love Lucy to The Lucy Show to Here's Lucy, and even her various specials that she did over the years.

I've also been reading every book about her that can find. And this morning, I read one particular biography of hers, titled, I LOVED LUCY by Lee Tannen (St. Martin's Press, 2001), in which I learned that Lucy never liked to say goodbye...that she always insisted on going out the same door that she came in, and that her favorite flower was the lilac.

As it turns out, my Mom ("St. Frances of Turri") never liked to say goodbye ("Say, 'see you later,' instead," she'd tell me)...insisted on going out the way she came in...and her favorite flower was the lilac.

Seems to me that my Mom and Lucy have somehow connected in Heaven, and have worked out this neat plan to let me know everything is just fine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very sweet. I love to watch I Love Lucy too !!! I have all of her dvds. Lisa Huron

Herbie J Pilato said...

Thank you, Lisa. Lucy was and remains the best.

Sally said...

I came upon your blog because you popped up on my Facebook page -- apparently, we have a few mutual friends (Otto Bruno, Dresden Engle, Marcia Morphy). For one reason or another, I started reading and couldn't stop. You seem like a really amazing person, and I loved everything you wrote in your blog, especially about your mom. Just wanted to tell you that and wish you well.
Sally Gustavson

Herbie J Pilato said...

Sally - Thank you for all your kind words. Hearing and reading them makes posting my thoughts worthwhile. Herbie J