Friday, September 07, 2012

No Vulgarity. No Violence. How About Using TALENT?!

I want so much to love American television - and films - as much as a I love classic American television and film. But the state of the product out there is just pathetic.

And it's not even a conscious thing.

The powers that be and the consumers are desensitized to the junk that is being placed "out there" and in the theatres.

Unfortunately, all that matters is the almighty dollar.

And look, I love money, too...it makes the world go 'round and I support any and all who seek to make it and spend it.

But at what price?

Let me explain it this way:

I used to teach acting. I was a very tough teacher and I had certain rules for my students, the number one of which was: "No scenes with vulgarity and violence."

For example, I asked them to prove their talent beyond taking the easy way out of using profanity or violent behavior to show anger.

I used to tell them, "Impress me with your TALENT!"

And that's all I'm asking for in today's TV and films; and pop-culture.

To all the writers, producers, directors and actors who make TV shows, movies; appear on stage, music-makers, etc.:

Impress me with your TALENT...and not by taking the easy ways out of speaking vulgar words, showcasing "manic" camera angles and blood-soaked violent images.

Impress me with your TALENT!!!

2 comments:

William Xifaras said...

How true, "use talent", very simply stated. Yet how many of us are cognizant of why we are tuning in to certain shows?

Vulgarity & violence do have their place to paint reality on certain films, no question. Although I must admit, watching an important story acted with talent trumps the violence/ vulgarity concept many have created.

Author/Actor/Executive said...

Yes, William...I agree to that...a measure of violence and profanity, when character or story-oriented, is acceptable. But to insert overt violence and vulgarity just for the sake of it is an "easy out" that distracts from any sincere or engaging story-telling and character development.